Developed by

Condom

There are many different types of condoms. Some are very thin and others extra strong. Condoms are even found in different forms, colours, types and taste. Some condoms also come with spermicide crème. The condom is often sealed with a lubricant that in part makes it easier to put on and in part reduces the risk of breaking the condom during intercourse.

Condoms are made of rubber (latex or polyurethane). Condoms made from polyurethane are thin but not as strong as latex condoms.

How does it work?

The condom is rolled down over the penis when it is erected. When the man ejaculates, it prevents the sperm from entering the woman’s vagina. The condom also prevents that you become infected with sexually transmitted diseases.

It is not difficult to put a condom on the penis but practice makes perfect. Read the instructions in the package. A little fluid containing sperm may seep from the penis when it is erected. Therefore, the condom should always be put on before intercourse begins and should stay on during the entire intercourse. Since penis becomes flaccid after ejaculation, the condom can fall off or some of the semen can leak. Therefore, you should – right after ejaculation – grab the condom by the root of the penis and pull the penis out.

Safety

If the condom is used correctly, there is a 85-90% chance that the woman does not become pregnant over the course of 12 months. The greatest risk is that the condom breaks (1-10%). Remember to control that the condom has not expired (expiration date is on the package) – old condoms break more easily.

Disadvantages

  • Some explain how condoms reduces sensitivity on the head of the penis and thereby lust during intercourse.
  • Some women and men experience itching, smarting and irritation in the vagina or on the head of the penis when using a condom. Changing brand can solve the problem and possibly avoid condoms with sent and flavour.
  • Safety is reasonable but not as good as other methods.

Advantages

  • Provides the best protection from sexually transmitted diseases.
  • Easy to get a hold of (supermarket, pharmacy, some kiosks and gas stations).
  • Does not require contact with the Health Services.

Further reading on Diaphragm