People react differently to wasp and bee sticks. By far most people develop only a local reaction and not an allergic reaction. The local reaction consists of pain, redness and swelling where you have been stung. Allergic reactions are often mild in the form of skin itching, hives and malaise. Serious allergic reactions with breathing difficulties, chest tightness and fainting are very rare, but can be life threatening.
Wasps are attracted to meat products and sweets such as ice cream, beer and sugary drinks. Bees live from pollen and must feel strongly threatened before they stick. Wasp sticks are therefore considerably more frequent than bee sticks.
When a wasp or bee sticks you, they spray the poison into the skin. The skin responds to the poison with pain, redness and swelling. It is a very common reaction and has nothing to do with allergy. The local reaction to the skin can be attenuated with mild adrenal cortex hormone cream, which can be bought over the counter.
Some - with allergy to the poison the insect injected into you - react with allergic symptoms. Most allergies develop mild symptoms in the form of skin itching, hives and malaise. Symptoms can be alleviated with allergy pills, which can be bought over the counter.
Serious allergic symptoms such as difficulty breathing and chest tightness are rare. Deaths after insect bites may be due to anaphylactic shock or choking due to sticks in or on the throat. Serious allergic reactions are treated with injections of adrenal cortex hormone and adrenaline.